Last Shout - Posted by: James - Saturday, 19 June 2010 15:26
Welcome to FS-Shipyards.Org

FS-Shipyards
October 24, 2017, 05:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FS-Shipyards community now supported by FSAddon Publishing

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Type 45 Diamond  (Read 14461 times)
notned

« on: February 11, 2011, 04:43:02 AM »

Started work on Type 45,or similar shape and size but having a few export issues.When exported from Gmax into FS9 as an Aircraft MDL some parts are vanishing.
First picture shows full model before export
Second picture shows the model in FS9 but with parts missing
Any ideas or suggestions really appreciated.
AJ

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Hi,

Gmax does a lot of weird things, but my bet is it's either a texture issue {texture name, texture not in the texture folder ect....} or {what I've had happen to me!} you end up having to change the missing poly's to "patch objects" and then back over mesh. I've only had to do this with .3ds / .obj files that I imported into gmax {sent by other developers}, and for some reason gmax saw all of the  poly's, but didn't export everything until I converted everything to patch objects and back again! Weird!!!

Try it and let us know what happens!!

AJ   
notned

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »

AJ tried the method in last post
3DSmax to 3ds file
Imported into Gmax
Here i added a hard platform to land on and converted all to "patch" and then back to "mesh" before saving and exporting as a Scenery object MDL.As a note it wouldnt let me export as a Aircraft MDL.
Added to scenery in FS9 and still have vanishing in certain views.
Shame really as i was going to put alot of time into some ships for general release but this problem is driving me mad,,,again...lol....
AJ

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

Ahhh, not allowing you to export as an aircraft .MDL tells me there is something else going on with the file.

Coming out of 3DSMax more than likely will attach "tags" from that program that it's little brother gmax doesn't like. And as a scenery file, disappearing when you turn a certain direction tells me that the overall model has a problem with the axis being set to 0.

I don't have a lot of free time on my hands, but if you want, send me what you got and I will straighten it out for you and tell you what the problem was. Send me a PM with your email and I'll tell you how to get it to me.

BTW: Just out of curiousity, why would you want to to go from 3DSMax down to Gmax? 3DSMax has all of the same capabilities {and more!} of Gmax! Gmax is just a scaled down version of the 3DSMax. If you already have 3DSMax, I recommend continue working on it in 3DSMax and exporting it from there rather than trying to get it into Gmax!!! Gmax has a lot of bugs and in my opinon, if a person has access to a superior modeling program like 3DSMax, it's worth investing time in learning how to work with it rather than just using it to convert files. That's what I used to do because I was hesitant to learn a new program, but to be honest with you, it was really easy to find my way around in 3DSMax!! If you are comfortable with Gmax, you'll do just fine with 3DSMax!!! Just a thought!!! smile

AJ
AJ

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:21:36 AM »

Strike my last comment about using 3DSMax over Gmax for this scenerio!! I just remember that you said you were using FS9 and the only other way to get .mdl's into FS9 is through Gmax.

Sorry!!!

AJ
notned

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:03 AM »

I do prefer 3dsmax but getting your models from it into FS9/FSX in the big issue.
Not 100% sure if there is a limit on file size for exporting into X file before MDL conversion.
But saying that some models already available have very high levels of detail and look amazing,just how these designers get it into FS  is a mystery to me.
AJ

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »

Hi,

Yeah, it can be a daunting task at times when your trying to get from point A to point B with 3D models, but the cool thing is, that if you have the internet, and you know where to look, you'll find somebody else out there that's found a workaround!! My primary sources of info comes from: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/  and http://www.freeflightdesign.org/. Between the two, I usally find the information I'm looking for.

There are limits to exporting poly's out of Gmax {can't give you a specific number at the moment} and a limit on objects / vertices textured with the same material coming out of 3DSMax, but again, there are work arounds for both.

Most of the detail you see in the type of "high detail" models you mentioned come from the textures. There are quite a few little "tricks" and technigues to get things looking the way they do on those models. Having a really good paint program like PhotoShop and Paint Shop Pro are essential in making that type of detailing possible. There are tons of tutorials available out there that will walk you through creating a variety of different things in both programs. you just have to "sniff" around for them! smile

I hope I've shed a little light for you at the end of at times seems like a dark tunnel to nowhere, but again, there are a lot people out there doing the same thing we are, and are more than willing to help!!!

AJ   
notned

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »

OK i now have split my project up and exported,with the project all in view selected parts as in front funnel,rear radar and so on and exported as Xfiles.
I havent tried adding them together yet as one whole Xfile.

To see if they worked ok I converted them into MDLs>>BGLs and placed them as a static object using EZScenery without moving the placement aircraft and they keep their original places as per 3DSmax.

A long way round but results where good and they no longer vanish.
notned

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »

Changed the way i have been approaching things and started again,seems just making models is the easy part getting them into FS is the challenging part.
So here goes again with progress so far.
AJ

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »

Well, it looks like so far so good, keep us posted on progress!!

AJ
notned

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »

Work goes on,trying to make my own fleet.Carrier and Destroyer.
I have a Submarine as well but still trying to add "flaps effect" so F5 F6 F7 F8 add stages to submerging.
Still a lot to do but very satisfying when you see them in FSX.
Seem to have got round most problems with an upgrade on graphics.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: